MIKE NYONI - I Can’t Understand You

ZAMBIA MUSIC PARLOUR | ZMPL 51 | 1978

Words & Music by Mike Nyoni

Tracklisting:
A1. I Can't Understand You
A2. Amida
A3. Highway
A4. The Letter
A5. A Wise Boy
B1. My Choice
B2. No More Love
B3. Africa
B4. Miss Universe
B5. Chikwati Chata

Leonard Koloko (Zambian Music Legends):
Mike Nyoni was renowned for his songwriting skills and arrangements. His Kawalala album was followed up with a second, I Can’t Understand You, which featured hits like “Amida,” a love ballad addressing a beautiful girl to stay away from trouble and protect herself from the vultures of men. The beauty of the song lay in the smooth vocal style that was applied. The chorus had a semi rap vocal style and the guitar work was mesmerizing and well executed. I Can’t Understand You went on to be exported and reissued abroad.

Pérolas do Rock Blog:
“I Can’t Understand You” is divided into 10 short tracks with a lot of groove and influenced by funk and even a little of disco and ballads but without neglecting the Zamrock roots. The instrumentation is simple and straightforward, guitar-driven, at times fuzz, following Nyoni’s good vocals. My favourite tracks are “I Can’t Understand You”, “Highway” and “Africa”. A softer version of Zamrock but still recommended to the fans of the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment